I saw the newest James Bond movie today; Casino Royale, featuring the newest Bond played by Daniel Craig.Now, I'm not a huge fan of the Bond series, probably due to not having seen many of the movies. A couple of the Pierce Brosnan ones and maybe a few scenes from various movies in the Sean Connery days. But I really have not gone out of my way to experience the phenomenon that is James Bond.
Marty wanted to see Casino Royale and I was certainly not opposed to it, although he seems to have gotten the idea somewhere that I was not really thrilled about the prospect and had made a deal that I would see Casino Royale if he would see Happy Feet. I mean, c'mon why would I make a deal like that when who could resist dancing CGI penguins? But really, I like a good action Dick Flick as well as the next guy, so I say again: I have not a clue as to where he got this idea.
In any case and to make a long review short (which I am still going to go on about it anyway), I'm in love. This movie, in my limited Bond experience, is the best by far. Marty was a bit put off by it because he felt it was a jarring experience as he has seen many more of the movies than I and he reports that it swings off track of the usual "feel" of a Bond movie.
Again from my limited experience, I can see where he's coming from. Sean Connery had a sense of being the "Gentleman's" Bond, where Pierce Brosnan was sauve, collected, almost "too cool" in the line of fire or whatever other craziness he was getting himself into.
Daniel Craig's Bond is quite different. He is flawed physically. He certainly does not have the streamlined looks of Pierce Brosnan who was dashing and had a perfect "Bond" look about him. His ears stick out and he holds his mouth in a sort of pinched fashion:

But Daniel Craig is a very handsome man despite his harsher look. And perhaps his harshness gives him better looks than Brosnan, at least perhaps a more real look. One of my favorite features are his eyes, a very intense ice blue. I've seen regular pictures of him and he definitely has very light blue eyes. I was wondering if he had been wearing contacts because almost every time you see his eyes, they are almost glowing, shining, icy blue. I know there are contacts out there that enhance shine and catch light in a certain way. And while he does not move his mouth much, or even, talk much in this movie, his eyes draw you in and say everything that needs to be said.
Our new Bond follows the physical frame of his actor. Daniel Craig's Bond is gritty, intense, dark and ultimately flawed. This Bond is harsh. Bad ass, to be sure, but he's not someone I would want to meet in a dark alley and had done something wrong. His kicking ass talents are supreme to any other Bond, his marksmanship is dead on. He's scary. Other Bonds aren't scary. There's something cartoonish about other Bonds compared to Daniel Craig's Bond.
This movie details James Bond's promotion to "OO" (Double O) status, so it's set at the beginning of his career. In order to obtain Double O status, you have to have two kills under your belt. To this end, Bond is flawed because he is dealing with his own ego, how to harness it and not keep fucking up, according to "M", played by Judi Dench. He is struggling with his emotions, also how to harness them, to not run away and get him into trouble. And, I think he is struggling with the idea of being a killer, as well. But all of this merely serves to make this new Bond more human. Not just some untouchable, silly fancy pants of a man. He is more accessible, I think, to the regular audience, although, again, I can see why it might be different and maybe difficult to those who are hard core fans.
The movie itself was well done. Nicely paced with action, mixed with some intense moments of sweetness, terror, arm chair gripping. I walked out feeling very pleased and wanting to see it again. I haven't had that sort of reaction to a movie in quite some time. Don't get me wrong, I usually like most movies I see but lately I walk out thinking about other things or not really having a lasting impression of the film. Well, okay, I take that back. I did have quite an impact from The Departed. I think I was very depressed after that one!
See this movie, it's definitely worth the theater ticket price. It's one of the better movies I've seen this year. And tomorrow... Happy Feet!!!
First photo found at Wikipedia.com. Second & third photo found at movies.aol.com. Last found at movies.ign.com.

No comments:
Post a Comment