Sunday, January 7, 2007

Bring On The Fuzz

Well, I didn't cry.

My New Year's Day was spent, for the most part, shaving my head. Marty was out running and I just took a pair of scissors and starting hacking away. He returned and said, "Why don't you use the clippers?" I think I gave him one of those looks and reminded him that the electric clippers were completely rusted shut, probably rotting in various cabinets since their inclusion into Marty's life.

I love my husband, I really do. But sometimes I want to smack him thoroughly about the head and shoulders with a large piece of wood. "Oh, I'll just use rust remover on them." he says. I saw them. As a jeweler working with soldering metal, I know those rusted pits in metal, I know they can't be taken out unless ground out and buffed. But with men, you sometimes just have to back off and say, "Okay, go ahead." Because they have to see it for themselves. If he'd gotten all that rust off, I'd have let him use them. If they had been shiny. Because another thing (besides actually working) that I was worried about was the rust getting in me. As in nicking me and needing a Tetnus shot or something. But as it turned out, I didn't have to worry. They wouldn't work.

I'm not saying anything.

So, he took the scissors and completed the task of shearing my hair as close to my skull as he could and then we started with the regular shaver with a lot of shaving cream. At lot. At first. Then I kept saying "Hey, more cream!!" He shaves with water. That just don't work for my poor head. He did a good job, nicking me a couple of times but not bad.

It's an odd experience, having a bald head. Hard to keep your hands off your head. The regular baldness was strange to say the least. It felt weird, slightly stubbly and... well... bald. Where hair should be, there was weird feeling skin. And it's just.... weird.

But even after seven days, it's got quite a bit of fuzz. My husband can't keep his hands off my head. I can't either. It feels fun, velvety, fuzzy. It looks good. Most people say it looks pretty good, that they focus on my face more, the structural bones. Interesting. What is it about hair that distracts from this.

I find that I hold my head differently, more "elegantly" is about the only word I can think of to describe it. My posture is a little better. My head looks good with earrings. And I have three piercings in my left ear, one in my right, so plenty of "canvas" to show off with.

It still suprises me though. At least when I look in the mirror. When I'm just around the house or at work, I don't really think about it. Except messing with it all the time. Then I look in the mirror and it's like *blink*, who the hell is that. Still a bit weird.

It's growing so fast. I thought I would have more stubbly skin time but very quickly it turned to the fuzz stage. I think I like the fuzz stage the best, it's fun and feels nice. It's also very easy to take care of. No brushing or worrying about style or anything. And it doesn't look so... raw.

If it's growing this fast, it will be interesting to see how much it has grown in three more weeks. And that's all she wrote because she's continually distracted at work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My father writes:

Wow, Heather, I finally see a picture of yo' head! Reminds me so much
of days at the monastery. Shaving Suzan's head for her. (Like you, she
had long blond hair. She was really knocked for a loop following my
work.) Sometimes we monks would get together and shave each other's
heads. Another guy was shaving my head one day and I could feel he was
putting in all these nicks, but when I would tell him that he would say,
Oh no, there isn't any bleeding. (For that kind of razor nick on scalp,
the bleeding doesn't start immediately.) Then all the nicks started
bleeding at once--you know how scalp cuts bleed!--and Mugen walked by
and asked sardonically, Hey Harv, what's your blood type?

But it reminds me most of all of the day the Dalai Lama visited the
monastery. The Roshi had asked me to be head cook for the event, and to
make my knock-out Eggplant Parmesan [It's egg-u plant-u, the Roshi
explained to His Holiness later at lunch; and incidentally, by god, His
Holiness had three helpings!], and I was majorly deadlining to get the
casseroles ready in time. Leaving only time for a very rushed job for
shaving the week-old fuzz off my shaved head. Snick-snick-snick went the
damn razor, then I found myself with the others, all of us hands in
gassho in a double line thru which His Holiness and his entourage were
passing--my shining pate bleeding like a stuck pig.

It was a moment I will never forget. As he came thru the lines the
Dalai Lama made eye contact with every single person. And despite the
briefness and relative "anonymity" of the encounter, I have no doubt
every person felt its profundity and deeply personal touch. Did he have
a little extra smile when his eyes engaged briefly with mine? Was he
thinking, Hey Harv, what's your blood type?