First, a "Classroom In a Book" book on Adobe Photoshop 7.0, which basically is exactly what it says: a book on Photoshop broken up into lessons that you can follow along with your software. Since we don't have Photoshop CS (new version), but did have 7.0, this worked out. It's pretty well written and works for my "follow along and do" style of learning. And a perfect complement to my uber new digital SLR camera I recently obtained.
Second, was a big pile of dance movies. Burn the Floor, Center Stage, A Chorus Line, Dirty Dancing, Flash Dance, Footloose, Mad Hot Ballroom, Saturday Night Fever.
This had me giggling and gushing. Okay, sound strange to you, that heap big Aries giggles in such a fashion? Allow me to give some small background to this.
Unto you, all dear readers, I admit this. Don't let it go to your heads.
I am a complete sucker for dance movies.
I adore them.
I get all mushy and moon.
I turn into a complete girl.
Especially for dance movies where the characters triumph at the end through dance. Of course Marty makes a good point: there aren't really many dance movies that DON'T have this plot line.
It's funny, for all my love of dance movies, my collection basically sucked. Dirty Dancing and Save the Last Dance was it. Sad, huh. But now, thanks to Marty, it has grown in leaps and bounds. At first no pun intended then I realize that it works anyway, so... pun intended. :)
So why do I like dance movies so much? Because dancing is just about the coolest thing that we human beings can do with our bodies. (Along with singing!) All sorts of different styles, ballet to hip hop to martial arts (in general but capoeira comes primarily to mind), belly dancing, tap dancing, partner dancing like ballroom, salsa, swing... I could probably keep going. Bodies are beautiful to begin with but then take the sinuous twisting and flow of muscle in dance movement and wuff!! And the things really good dancers can do with their bodies? It's beyond amazing. And now you know the body type I'm most attracted to!
Then add what a good dancer can put Energetically (metaphysically, I mean) into the moving of the body and it transcends beyond reality and travels to a different dimension altogether. Yeah, did I mention sappy, moony and new age-y, as well? Ah, the moony part, yes.
So Marty and I have been working our way through the movies, Footloose and Center Stage so far. I'd never seen Footloose and that was a fun, very 80's movie. I'd seen Center Stage before a while ago but wanted to watch it again.
And another reason, maybe just as important or more than the first, why I love dance movies... As Marty and I were watching Center Stage, near the end, I got all teary. Not normal, girly gushy mooniness. But as I was watching, I got hit by something that hits me almost every time I watch a dance movie. I have always wanted to be a dancer. At one point in my life, maybe even a professional dancer. These days, I probably couldn't dance professionally, especially given the chronic body stuff, but the desire to dance, for others even, is still very strong. And I suppose it might those tears might be regret or maybe just mooniness.
So I love dancing, as much as I love singing. Oh, I haven't posted on singing yet have I? Well, that gets its own entry too.
No comments:
Post a Comment