Saturday, January 19, 2008

Cancel or Allow?

You are facing the sad realization that you need a new car. Cancel or Allow?

Oh, how I wish I could say Cancel... Sigh.

Marty took the truck in yesterday for a tune up and some particular problems it's been having (strange squealing on start up, bucking like you've put it in the wrong gear in second, an obvious tune up needed, and the driver's side seat belt not working, probably among other things). The went over it and called today so we could give the go ahead/no go ahead for the work it needed. After finding out what would be needed to fix it, Marty walked into the bedroom where I was still snoozing and reported that we needed a new car. Apparently it's going to cost about $1200 to fix the truck and it already is twenty years old with a little more than two hundred thousand miles on it. It would be silly to put $1200 into it when that could be used for a down payment or used car. And apparently the state will give $600 for it. Poor truck. It has served quite well.

Marty and I may both have Masters Degrees and be fairly intelligent people but when it came to prospect of needing a new car, we just looked at each other in consternation. Ermm, so just how do we go about this, our looks said to each other and we both admitted having no idea. I mean, really. I can do my own taxes (for the most part), negotiate getting around on public transportation in a foreign country, probably even change the spark plugs in the truck but when it comes to buying a car, or a house for that matter, I am lost.

It's not like you get this training in school. Or even from your parents. These are the sort of things you have to learn by doing. Or a lot of research and reading the "For Dummies" series of books. Or you find someone who knows what they are doing. Either way, it's huge and scary. You want to get the right car for you. Do you get a used car, a new car? You don't want to get "taken" by a salesman, pay more than you should. And the big question, where does one find the money in their budget to pay for a new car or even a good used car.

It is such a looming subject; it feels overwhelming. Of course, I know me and I'll be staring at the screen for hours doing "How to buy a car" research. No, really, hours. I can't help it. I get taken over by the Father Ussery syndrome and I have to make sure I do it right. My father will get a new techie device and sit down to read the manual from front to back and probably order a couple of books and read those as well. He's well prepared. I seem to have picked that up in my older years because I certainly didn't do it when I was younger.

I imagine I'll be the one gathering the information. Marty will do the talking. Because as we know, the Aries shouldn't be allowed to speak in these situations. They get too mouthy.

I'll keep you updated on the whole affair.

No comments: