I'm not a gym rat. I hate gyms actually. Remember, I don't even want to exercise in front of myself so doing so in a room full of people is not my idea of fun. Well, hell, exercise isn't even my idea of fun.
But Marty and I had a family membership to our neighborhood YMCA, in the Richmond district and I went quite infrequently, which is why we switched it down to a membership for just Marty. But during the few times that I was there, I tried out a machine that I dubbed as "The Anteloper".
The Anteloper, I think actually is what is called an elliptical machine, sort of like cross-country skiing and/or running without impact. I called it The Anteloper because when I got on and started up the movements, it seemed almost "bouncy" in my joints, like bounding across the plains like an antelope. I was impressed. But apparently not impressed enough to make it a full time thing.
But today, I went with Marty on one of his guest passes, to the Presidio YMCA (the Richmond is under brief renovations). So I dutifully got on one of their Antelopers, about the same as the one I remember and started "stepping" away. It was not as "antelopey" as I recalled but I was able to keep a fairly steady pace for about 45 minutes. And remember, I hate exercise. Walking to the store two blocks away is a chore.
But I had my iPod and watched reruns of Beauty & The Geek (on mute, just reading the subtitles while I enjoyed my music) on their little streaming media TVs, although maybe they are actual factual TVs rather than internet media.
I had to hang on to the handles because every time I took my hands off to take a drink of water, I would feel unstable and would have to stop. I also couldn't help myself when up there from dancing, bobbing and weaving while stepping, like a drunk and in-love-with-techno parrot. Music grooves my thang, you know.
One drawback hopefully easily solved... err... need a really good sports bra!
So, the Anteloper might be a possibility for continued exercise. I'm going to use Marty's free passes first to see if we might take on the family membership again so I can go Antelope on my own.
Friday, February 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment