Wednesday, March 5, 2008

The Moment of Truth

I have quite an extensive list of shows I record during the week and watch later. I'm really quite organized with this, making a list of times and channels and which VCR/DVD recorder it should be taped on, etc, etc.

Due to the writer's strike, lots of the network schedules were really jacked up. So due to that, I've not been able to tape all of the Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles. Actually, I haven't seen a single one yet.

So in my catch up of a lot of shows, I sit down and there's a show called The Moment of Truth followed by the Sarah Connor Chronicles, go figure, they changed it AGAIN. So I had The Moment of Truth instead. Bah.

Apparently this show is a reality show where they polygraph the contestants beforehand (the people don't know the answer of the polygraph machine) and then on the show, they are asked the same questions in front of their families and, of course, a nation-wide audience. Of course, there's money involved. Contestants get a tier of money for a number of questions answered and the questions only get more personal as they go along. So really, really revealing questions for a lot of money ($200,000 I think is the top tier), with only one "pass button" to use (by the family). If they answer truthfully, they can continue, if they lie, they lose it all, all money that has been built up thus far. All based on the polygraph test done before the show, test results they don't know about. So, smart, right? Fucking nuts, if you ask me.

I would not be a good candidate. Not that I'm a liar and have a ton to hide, it's just that my polygraph would come out as a lie to every single question because I'm just a regularly anxious person. And I have my doubts about how accurate those machines are anyway.

This show was in my usual taped slot because it was a "special showing of a controversial episode". So, I watched it. I don't watch a lot of reality TV, usually just America's Next Top Model and Beauty & The Geek. I watch for sociological and psychological interest and yes, a streak of voyeurism. Hell, it's why these stupid shows are so damn popular.

This "controversial show" was about a young wife, married for two years, getting up to "bare her truthful soul" in front of her husband Frank, her mother and father, and sister and brother. She past the first two tiers and the host, who is already squirming in his seat, gives her a chance to leave with the money she has earned so far, but she keeps going. Getting into questions like "Do you think you might have still been in love with your ex-boyfriend on your wedding night?" (which she answered "Yes" to and the little computerized voice stated that the answer was "True"). And then they have her ex-boyfriend, interestingly enough named Frank, to ask "If I were to want to get back together with you, would you leave your husband?" To which the host offers Frank The Husband a chance to hit the skip button, which he, naturally does not take. So there's some more squirming and then suddenly the button goes off and it's the sister who has hit it (to the boos and jeers of the audience), giving the reason that she didn't want to hear the answer and didn't think anyone would want to hear that sort of answer. My reasoning is (since the sisters admitted to being close to each other), the sister already knew that answer and was trying to save her sister from answering it. But the skipped question is replaced with another one, which ended up being read, again, by Frank The Ex-Boyfriend, "Do you think I should be the one you are married to?" or some such, which she answers yes to. And then to the next tier where the host even encourages her to walk with what she has. But she keeps going, "Have you ever had sexual relations with someone other than your husband?" to which she answers yes, leaving Frank The Husband with his face in his hands, scrunched into his knees. And the computer confirms all these as true. And then she's going for the $200,000 tier, two more questions. "Do you think you are a good person?", to which she answers yes (remember, she doesn't know what the polygraph response actually was), to which the computer states is false. Thus, she loses everything. And I guess in this case, really everything.

I mean, here's a woman destroying her marriage, her life even, humiliating her husband and family, for what, the chance for a paltry bit of money? I'm sorry, but $200,000 is a disgustingly tiny amount of money to fuck shit up for. I mean, if you're going to blow it, blow it massively, expensively big.

I was asking myself, "Why the hell would she do this?" and then realized, of course, because she WANTS to tell her husband that she's been unfaithful. But please, go to couple's therapy and tell the truth there.

I was completely nauseous throughout the entire show. And the audience is cheering her answers or booing the sister taking the skip button. It's definitely not one I'm going back to watch. If these shows are going to be made, then please, for fuck's sake, make more like Beauty & The Geek. At least there's some sweetness and transformation that goes on there.

Wow, wake the fuck up, America, and don't perpetuate this shit by watching it.

No comments: