Monday, July 7, 2008

Happy Accidents

So my mom and I left Columbus, OH and drove directly back to the Louisville airport. She dropped me off and stood with me in line, outside the ropes. I missed the days when people could take you right up to the gate, when you could get off the plane and there's your party. Fun to see others greeting each other as well. But as soon as I past the point of no-shoe return, I bid my farewell and faced forward. I'm not much of a looking back kind of person.

I got ensconced at my gate and learned that my plane would be late. So I waited a half an hour in line for them to tell me I would have enough time to get to my connection in Atlanta.

So our plane came in and off we went. My plane in Atlanta was leaving at 5:05 pm and my plane landed at 5:04pm, needless to say I missed it. I was a bit chuffed.

But the nice counter guy put me on the very next flight, two hours from then, which sucked a bit, but hey, at least I would in still at a decent time in SF. It was the last seat left on that flight and it was a business (I guess also called first class?) seat. Well, I'm not complaining, put me on the flight!

So, I walk on the plane and for the first time, I don't keep going to bowels of the airplane to find my seat. I plopped down into my new first class seat with a little trepidation. I think I was wearing my comfy pink leopard print fuzzy pants.

The chairs were large, of course. I always try to sit in the exit rows since my legs are long and space is extra nice on a long flight. So the extra leg room wasn't really anything new but I didn't realize how much the space to each side mattered. Roomy for legs and arms. Very nice. Cushy. Right by the bathrooms, easy to get out, although I had the aisle seat anyway.

I've never flown business/first class before. So I dug through the nice complementary Delta magazine for tips on how to behave, natch. I didn't want to make a fool of myself by asking in that way that immediately identifies you as a coach flying idiot, "Uhm, is this free?" I couldn't find anything in the magazine other than a reminder of the song I made up flying to the East Coast. I'll share that later.

But as it turned out, everything was free, from the food to the on board movies to the games.

I've flown a lot in my life. Not as much as a business person or such, but I've experienced the best that airplane food has to offer, which never, ever deserves the descriptions "best", "better" or even "good", but I have to say, for real, the first class food was the best airplane food I've ever had. They come around with hot napkins so you can wash your hands and face and ask what you'd like, the bow tie pasta or the glazed chicken? I go for the chicken, natch. And it comes out on a plate with a tray and piping hot. And to drink, ma'am? One, don't call me ma'am. No! I didn't say that, I promise.

I decided to test the whole "free" thing and ordered some coconuty alcoholic drink thing which was very tasty. Free. I got a Bailey's Irish Cream over ice. Free. I stopped there because I don't drink alcohol that often and did not want to behave like a soused, obnoxious first class flyer. Although watching the service crew with other passengers who were much heavier drinkers than myself, they appeared very pleasant and professional. I wonder if they give out the alcohol free in order to get people to drink and pass out and thus not have to deal with them any more? Interesting theory.

I watched the movie Penelope, having taken a while to pick that one out, there were many choices... all free. I love saying that word.

I played the onboard Trivia game, which was the only free game in coach. You play against others on the plane. I won a lot of rounds coming east and I was losing most coming west. Hmm. Then I played Insaniquarium, also free!!, until the plane landed. Take offs, turbulence and landing, my worst times.

So that was my first experience flying first class. Woot!

So my Sky Mall song. You know the Sky Mall magazines on Delta flights. Filled with things to buy that you really don't need. There's a Stuart Davis song called "Sky God" which is very bouncy and bushy tailed, very pop, but I think is a snarky commentary, but with Stuart Davis, you never know. I couldn't find a clip on Youtube.com but there's a line that goes "Sky god, this one's real, my god, is revealed.... if I've learned one lesson, why ask why, give it to the sky god". So I came up with my own version to amuse myself on the flight east.

"Sky Mall, this one's real, buy it all, it's a deal, Take all my money and give it to the Sky Mall."

No comments: