Friday, August 15, 2008

I Bet You'd Drown in a Bathtub

Marty and I were watching the Olypmics and the successes of Michael Phelps.

We were watching him on the stand for probably his sixth time getting his gold medal. We thought his salute was rather wimpy, sort of strangely cupping his breast, standing there listening to the national anthem play... again.

He wasn't teary or anything silly like that because lord knows the media does enough close ups of the athletes to see if they are crying or what their emotional response is. And if he was, fine with me. But he was just standing there.

I imagine at that point either he is completely confident to be up there again, or very humble or very sportsmanlike.

But then Marty said, "You know, he's probably up there thinking to the rest of the world, "I bet you'd drown in a bathtub."" I just about howled.

In comparison to what he does, we probably would.

So Michael Phelps is not a waste of meat afterall.

No comments: