Sunday, April 29, 2007

The Trials and Tribulations of a Meat Eater

Well, meat.

I am an avowed meat eater.

I tried going vegetarian for a few months, I think in my late teens. I thought I was starving to death all the time. I was spacey all the time. Not that I wasn't spacey all the time when I was teen anyway, but this was worse. Finally, I had to go back to eating meat again.

I have said before that I do love me some meat. Red meat. Rare please. Fowl is okay, I don't mind eating chicken and turkey but I still gravitate towards the dark parts. I like it gamey, lamb and goat! If I could go out, charging through the wilds, running down my prey and eating it with both hands after dangling it for a small while over open flames, I would.

I wish I had the money to eat organic and farm raised, but alas I do not, at least not at the levels that I consume flesh. Because I'm not supposed to be eating wheat/starches or sugar, that leaves me with meat and veggies. So I eat a hand-sized piece of meat almost at every meal with some broccoli or other veggies. That's a lot of meat. Per day.

So, what's an avowed meat eater like me supposed to do when such a meat eater lives with an avowed vegetarian who hands down has stated there will be no cooking of the dead flesh in the house?

Well, at first I railed and grumped and butted my Aries horns about, to no avail. Then after sometime, maybe a year and a half or so, after I'd gone to a nutritionist who basically said, you need to eat protein every meal, he started allowing cooked meat to be heated in the microwave. So I slowly came to the conclusion I could buy my meat complement on Sunday, when I'm at work and cook it all up for the week at Eucalyptus House. I cook my big old pile of bleeding red meat with no frills, half cooked and package it up in a big Tupperware container and take it home. Then I pull out a piece, nuke it (cooking it the rest of the way, although still to medium rare), spice it up and have at, along with my veggies.

So far it seems to be working out fairly well. I'm still learning how much meat I should buy to make it through the week by having enough or having too much as I've had to throw some away.

Works for me. Here's my set up: big steaks cut up into portion sizes all piled up ready to go into the pan, meat cooking in the pan, cooked meat sitting out and cooling down in order to go into the container. Efficient and quick, takes me about 15-30 minutes depending.

Mmmmm, meat.

No comments: