Friday, April 6, 2007

Nooby

This is Nooby. Nooby is the "house cat" at my work, Eucalyptus House. He's lived at Eucalyptus House pretty much all his life. As far as I understand, the residents who lived at the time of his arrival, we think possibly seven to eight years ago, named him Nooby. Not sure if it was supposed to be Newbie as in a new "resident" but that's how it's spelled. Nooby has gathered many nicknames as well, from staff and residents: Nubbs, Nubinator, Noobs, Nubbins, etc. Many permutations.

Most residents adore him and become very attached to him. And he is pretty much the sweetest and most friendly cat I've ever met. I guess you'd have to be living at social rehab house. He is tolerant of just about any thing thrown at him. If he doesn't like something, he just runs somewhere else. But I've seen people hold him upside down, roll him on the floor, chase him around the house and he just takes it in stride. In fact he seems to like being held upside down and wrestling around.

I've seen people get so attached to him that they buy him treats out of their own money, which they really do not get a lot of, maybe $20 a week. He has been the comfort of many a resident. I've even purposely dropped him into a suffering resident's lap and they find some calm while petting him. He truly is a therapy cat.

Being that we are a mental health facility in America, we have no extra budget and thus at one point, we were told to "get rid" of him. Fortunately a friend of one of the other counselors stepped up and stated she would be his patron, pay all his vet and sundry bills and that he could still live at Eucalyptus House. Pass number one.

Then another director decided that he would scratch up the new furniture she ordered and wanted to get rid of him. I promptly got on the internet and found Soft Paws, these rather cool little rubber tips you glue onto the claws. They can still retract and stretch, but since the claws are now blunted, no tearing furniture. She couldn't really argue that and he got to stay. By the way, I REALLY recommend Soft Paws, they really do work. Pass number two.

I took him to the vet today (well, yesterday, Thursday) and he did very well being jammed into a milk crate with a blanket over the top. I could have sworn we had a carrier but alas, I could not find it before his appointment. He hadn't been to the vet in probably two or three years. He's estimated to be around eight years old, a "senior" cat, and is in very good health.

I think Nooby is pretty much a fixture at the house now. And I'm very glad he's here because he can calm ME down too when I'm soaking up like a sponge the energy of the residents.

I hope he's around for a long time to come as he helps so many of us here at Eucalyptus House, staff and residents alike.

Long live the Nooby!!

No comments: