After the trip to my Father's, during which we saw the phenomenon that was the ending of "The Sopranos", never mind that neither Marty nor I ever watched the series, (we just wanted to join the crowd), we saw an advertisement for another HBO show called "John From Cincinnati". Since we've upgraded to digital cable, we get this rather neat service called On Demand. Shows are saved up on the server, can watch them later, etc, sort of like Tivo, but only the shows that the cable company, Comcast in this case, chooses. As part of our upgrade deal (free for one year, blah blah), we got HBO On Demand. So since "John From Cincinnati" was created by David Milch, who created "Deadwood", Marty very much wanted to see it. I liked "Deadwood" too, so I was open to watching it as well. Yay, HBO On Demand.
So when we got back, the first and second show had already posted to the "server" so we eagerly sat down to watch the first. And then immediately following, the second. Because, oh my gods!
It isn't a show most people would probably like. Tonight is the season finale (and most likely, read here, Series Finale). Which we will get to watch tomorrow afternoon after both us dribble home from our various overnight shifts. Ten episodes. Sniff. No official announcement as of yet but looking like it's going to be canceled. Which is really, really stupid.
Imperial Beach, really fucked up surfing family with a rather fucked up circle of "friends" surrounding them. Enter into this morass of woundedness, John. From Cincinnati. With magic pants that produce money and credit cards and a penchant for artfully repeating back everything you have to say. Who merrily proceeds to throw a bunch of wrenches into the usual workings of this system. Sound strange and confusing? It is.
But oh, how it mesmerizes!! How it catches the heart with its moments of amazing sweetness. It's a rather hard show to describe. I'm not as great putting the feeling of the show into words. Check out Marty's blog entry on JFC, he's more the word smith than I.
I'm more frustrated than he, I think, with thoughts of the impending cancellation. I am so highly irritated that shows like JFC get canceled. That any remotely intelligent show gets canceled so drivel like "reality TV" can be shown just peeves me to no end. JFC got such a panning except by those who could really appreciate it. Perhaps one might say those who have achieved a higher stage of development. Although I doubt anyone except a Buddha type would really understand just what the hell is going on in even one quarter of the time in any given episode.
Perhaps the Finale will tell. Although probably not. My hopes are not high on that factor.
I don't know, Butchie instead.
But that is the Magic of John. In his Father's Words.
It isn't a show most people would probably like. Tonight is the season finale (and most likely, read here, Series Finale). Which we will get to watch tomorrow afternoon after both us dribble home from our various overnight shifts. Ten episodes. Sniff. No official announcement as of yet but looking like it's going to be canceled. Which is really, really stupid.
Imperial Beach, really fucked up surfing family with a rather fucked up circle of "friends" surrounding them. Enter into this morass of woundedness, John. From Cincinnati. With magic pants that produce money and credit cards and a penchant for artfully repeating back everything you have to say. Who merrily proceeds to throw a bunch of wrenches into the usual workings of this system. Sound strange and confusing? It is.
But oh, how it mesmerizes!! How it catches the heart with its moments of amazing sweetness. It's a rather hard show to describe. I'm not as great putting the feeling of the show into words. Check out Marty's blog entry on JFC, he's more the word smith than I.
I'm more frustrated than he, I think, with thoughts of the impending cancellation. I am so highly irritated that shows like JFC get canceled. That any remotely intelligent show gets canceled so drivel like "reality TV" can be shown just peeves me to no end. JFC got such a panning except by those who could really appreciate it. Perhaps one might say those who have achieved a higher stage of development. Although I doubt anyone except a Buddha type would really understand just what the hell is going on in even one quarter of the time in any given episode.
Perhaps the Finale will tell. Although probably not. My hopes are not high on that factor.
I don't know, Butchie instead.
But that is the Magic of John. In his Father's Words.
No comments:
Post a Comment