Monday, August 13, 2007

Desire

I recently have gotten into the television show "House, M.D.", about a brilliant diagnostician with an ill bedside manner; he basically hates people, but loves puzzles. So basically he's an asshole to his patients and his own assembled team of doctors who help him figure out cases and do the "patient stuff".

In Season Two, Episode 13, called "Skin Deep", there was this song played during the episode that so hauntingly echoed what was going on in the show. I looked it up and it ended up being this one.
Desire - Ryan Adams

Two hearts fading, like a flower.
And all this waiting, for the power.
For some answer, to this fire.
Sinking slowly. The water’s higher.
Desire

With no secrets. No obsession.
This time I'm speeding with no direction.
Without a reason. What is this fire?
Burning slowly. My one and only.
Desire

You know me. You know my way in.
You just can't show me, but God I'm praying,
That you'll find me, and that you'll see me,
That you run and never tire.
Desire
I was so struck by the music. And the lyrics. How the song relates to my feeling lost in life. Which direction do I go? Where is my fire? For me the song isn't really about another person, as in the show it wasn't quite either. But about the desire we have for many things: our leg to stop hurting (House is lame in one leg), our sense of passion in life, our direction in life. So, how keen this song.

I found many links on YouTube for this song, although could not find the original artist video, if there even is one. I did find people playing this song on their own, people taking the episode "Skin Deep" and putting together a montage of cuts from the episode to the music. But finally found this one, no video played, just the image of a heart rate monitor or some such, with the song. In it's purity. Because only folks who watch the show would understand what is going on in one of the clip shows. BUT, checking through my blog as I do periodically, it had been pulled by YouTube.com, so here's a live spot. (And found a different version again).

No comments: