Friday, March 21, 2008

Jammin'

Gieve, my former roommate, came by today to have dinner and jam with Marty. Marty is a drummer, if I haven't mentioned before. A pretty good one, if I might say. He would benefit from loosening up in the shoulders a little bit but he can keep some pretty complex rhythms for a lengthy time. And Gieve is an awesome self-taught guitarist.

Put them together and you get an awesome jam session. Seriously. They seem to have an intuitive sense of each other as they did not set up what they were going to play ahead of time; one would just pick up a rift or a beat, the other would follow. Very cool.

There wasn't much I could do, because I don't really play an instrument. Little bit of the dijeridu, tiny bit of guitar. But I love to sing. But I generally can't improv in singing, I have to know lyrics and the music of the song in order to sing. I'd only make a good band singer if I knew the songs backwards and forwards. So I just sat there until finally picking up the bass guitar Marty bought a while ago and sat poking at strings here and there until Gieve showed me a few rifts on it and I plunked happily away, enjoying the synergy of the whole night.

A repeat must.

No comments: