We got our facials today. They were nice (and cheap is always good too). My mom hadn't really had a facial and I think she got a little teary at the pampering. I think she's going to make it a regular thing which I think is a good idea for her.
Then off to the Headley-Whitney museum and wandered around there. Apparently the Headley dude made bibelots. What the hell are bibelots, you ask? I certainly did. A bibelot is a small trinket or object with no practical value. Go here to see some examples at the museum. Pretty cool looking little things.
In the library where the Headley guy gathered things of the natural world for his collections. All sorts of strange things like narwhale tusks/horns, turtle shells one would serve caviar from, the like. (Ick.) But for me, there were two items on the mantle over the fire place that drew me and I couldn't keep my eyes off of them. Two of the same objects, framing the mantle.
These strangely glowing blue discs, almost convex plate surfaced with glass, drew attention from across the room. As I got closer, I realized that underneath the glass was layers of iridescent solid blue butterfly wings. Wow. I mean, just wow. I should have taken a photo but I didn't have my camera or my cell phone and I think photography was forbidden in any case. I looked all over the 'Net for photos of those items or something similar but couldn't find anything. Because, really, I can't describe them. But they were so amazing and mesmerizing.
And then back home. I was so tired. For some reason I'm having a very hard time adjusting to the time zone even though it's only three hours ahead of my old time. So I'm basically not getting much sleep and then having to get up at this time zone. Ack.
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment