I've noticed something at work today that has been happening on my shifts but became more clear at dinner tonight.
We have a very social house right now. Several clients are very talkative and at least a couple are high enough functioning to say "Why are you even here in this program?". So there's a lot of actual socializing going on among the residents and staff.
I sat down to dinner and we usually chat about the food or the day and suddenly I notice how "family" oriented the energy seemed.
I didn't grow up in a big family. Usually just me and my mom, or me and my father and step-mother. No siblings. But I have the idea of a noisy dinner table from Thanksgiving dinners with extended family. But that's once a year.
I was struck with the "fun-ness" of the dinner. Lots of talking and "hey, pass the apple juice!" and amiable, not crazy, laughing. And then lingering conversation afterwards. Usually clients inhale their dinner and disappear. But lately, we have at least four or five people sitting around and chatting about whatever comes up. Anything from the food to politics to social/world issues.
I have to say it's pretty cool and I've started looking forwards to dinner at work. Although, I have to say, I always keep an eye on anything I look forwards to at work. Because things can shift quite quickly and it's easy to get pulled into the "but it was happening this way!!" attitude and be easily disappointed.
But for now, the dinner affair is quite pleasant.
Thursday, February 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment