Saturday, March 8, 2008

A Psychedelic Day

I slept in late, as is my usual on days off. Marty called and asked if I wanted to do something when he got back from his consultation group. Walk, go to the museum, etc. I chose a walk and when he got home, suggested that we take our laptops across the park and find a cafe and computerize. Sounds good to me.

So of we went to a little Hawaiian oriented cafe and got to computerizing. Okay, strangely enough, the spell checker has an issue with "Okay" but not with "computerize or computerizing". I thought they were Heatherisms, not real words.

After computerizing, we walked home and Marty wanted to swing through the De Young for a short stint. Which we can do since we are members. The current special exhibit was of/by Gilbert and George. I'd heard of them and seen maybe one piece of their art, at least when I saw it I recognized it. The picture here is not the one that I thought I knew but it gives a little bit of a hint of the flavor of their work. Although it's missing poo-crosses and naked men.

I can't say as I was at all impressed. In fact, I think I raised an eyebrow and just snorted. Just about every single piece had their image (Gilbert & George) somewhere inserted. As if into a smelly rectum. What narcissism. So yeah, not impressed. How does this sort of thing make it to big and important museums?

So anyway, we went home and computerized some more. And then watched a movie called Across the Universe. A trippy, rock 'n roll of the 70's sort of musical with a cute boy actor with a great voice. The movie itself was stylized and pretty, psychedelic at times. But it was the soundtrack that was so amazing. Different arrangements of The Beatles and possibly some other bands, not sure. Haunting versions of these songs, great arrangements. We liked it so much we bought the soundtrack. Try it.

No comments: