Saturday, January 8, 2011

A Day With Dganit

It's a funny thing that we really only see our home city (I mean where you live now, not where you were born), when guests come around. Then it's the carting about to the tourist areas that you really never see excepting those times, which are maybe once every couple of years. Here it's Pier 39 with the Sea Lions, the Golden Gate Bridge, Transamerica building, probably all the sort of separate neighborhoods like the Castro (gay viewing is the bomb, right? Or at least so it seems to be for the tourists), or Japantown, etc. I guess the Pacific Ocean is a big draw. I guess I find myself at a loss, since although I know San Francisco is a tourist spot, I'm not really sure what people come to see. I mean, San Fran should be enough on its own, right?

But we went over to Richmond to pick up Dganit, our beloved Israeli friend from ISE2, and run around San Francisco. Although after touring Pier 39, our usual hub of touristy pursuance, complete with the few Sea Lions that apparently didn't take off for Oregon. I got a pearl. I wanted a funnel cake but didn't get any, which made me sad. But I'll do with my pearl.

Then it was off to Nirvana, natch, for dinner. One of our favorite places to eat in SF. Then to Hot Cookie, a very tasty cookie hole-in-the-wall joint up the street from Nirvana. Because there better be cookies in Nirvana, damnit. At least in my world.

And after that, back to our house to chat for a bit. So, some big tour of San Francisco, right? But I guess we are all the types that don't really want to run around looking at things when we could be sitting and talking. So that's what we did.

Then Dganit desired a burrito so we stopped at L'Avenida on the way back to drop her in Richmond. Her first burrito ever. Which, for some reason, I found a bit funny. I mean, to me, they seem very common, but I suppose not so much in Israel? Although from how she described Tel Aviv, it seemed they should have Mexican food?

Then goodbye to our new friend. I'm not very good at long distance types of contact so I was sad to see her go, knowing I probably won't get to see her again until next year if she's even able to come out to ISE 3. Le Sigh.

No comments: