Now, I've not really seen many of their movies, maybe one or two? I found this one quite well-crafted, but as Marty said, a little soulless. At the end going, "Erm, so, what was the point?" Now, I understand movies are just like that. They hit, they miss. They are good popcorn movies, they are crap. Ultimately, you want hits often as a producer, director, of course, but hey, crap happens.
I'm VERY forgiving of movies. I mean REALLY REALLY forgiving. So, if I think something is crap, it really really is crap. And if I say, "Meh, it was okay.", Marty definitely won't go to see it. But even so, I try to see at least SOMETHING good in every film. I figure if someone was going to put what they probably thought was a lot of effort and care (not to mention, a real fucking lot of money) into a movie, I can at least find SOMETHING there. Sometimes, for me, that can make the entire thing for me. I remember I saw Pitch Black and X-Men four times in the theater because there was just "something" about the characters of Riddick and Wolverine that engaged me. The movies could have been utter crap, but I would have loved them. So, very forgiving, I tell you! Of course, I saw Avatar four times, three in IMAX 3-D, so I do go see the extremely good ones too, over and over as well (besides, Sam Worthington is SOOOO DREAMY!!!)
So, True Grit, good movie in the sense of beautiful artistry, good cinematography, very good acting. And that was the SOMETHING in the movie that I liked. But it was just missing some bit of... feeling, depth.
Marty was spitting vitriol afterwards. Apparently he hates the Cohen Brothers with a passion beyond mere hatred. I mean, highly loathes them. And apparently doesn't quite get it through his head that it's going to be bad. He's like "Let's see True Grit!!" and I'm like "Uhm, it's the Cohen Brothers.", "No, no, no, it'll be okay this time." Uh-huh. And thus, he hates it. We hates the Brothers, yes, we hates them!!! So, this one as well, apparently!
Ah well.
No comments:
Post a Comment